Saturday, November 7, 2009

Mexistrone Soup

I made this a few nights ago. I REALLY liked it (even had it for lunch the next two days!). It's a very healthy vegetarian dish. Jared wasn't crazy about the zucchini and carrots in it but I thought they were good. You could omit those and add ground beef and it would be like a taco soup. I got this out of a magazine from the gym a couple of years ago.

Mexistrone Soup

1 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion
1 carrot, sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 cup yellow corn, frozen or canned (no salt added), rinsed and drained. I used the whole can.
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can stewed tomatoes with jalapenos (I recommend cutting up the tomatoes. They are big!)
2 tsp dried oregeno
1 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 cups spicy tomato juice (I didn't have spicy so I added some hot sauce to it)
salt and pepper to taste
lightly crushed corn chips for garnish

Heat the oil in a medium Dutch oven over med-high heat. Saute onion and carrot for 3 minutes. Add garlic and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add corn, beans, tomatoes with their liquid, oregeno, and basil. Pour in tomato juice AND 1/2 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. I actually let mine cook a little longer. My carrots may've been too big =). Season with salt and pepper and top with corn chips immediately before serving. Serves 6.
I thought it was even better the next day!

Just incase you want to know (per serving):
167 calories
3 grams fat
7 grams protein
8 grams dietary fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment