Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sunflower Seed Broccoli

Here is a quick and easy side dish that I like to make. Usually I focus on the main dish, and then right before dinner I think, "Oh, what am I going to put with it?" Sides are not my specialty, but this one is a big hit in my family.


1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 Tablespoons canola oil (or vegetable oil)
1 bag of frozen broccoli
1/4 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper
sunflower seeds



1. In a large skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add broccoli, cook and stir for 3 minutes.
Add the broth, oregano, salt, and pepper (to taste).


2. Cover and cook until broccoli is heated throughout. (Approx. 4 minutes)



3. Sprinkle sunflower seeds over the top. Use as much or as little as you like.



**I think the reason this has so much flavor is the use of broth instead of water. I have read in several magazines to use broths instead of water for added flavor, and I really think it makes a difference.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good even old people will like it.

    ReplyDelete