Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cheesy Vegetable Chowder

Are you ready for the best comfort soup ever?! I got this from Carrie and Southern Living :). I think the recipes are basically the same. The boys love this (which actually surprised me!). When I made this last week I had some cooked chicken in the fridge that I stirred into Jared's. It was really good! That's an option if you need some meat (right Shell!!). Again, NO pictures.

3 1/2 cups chicken STOCK (I use stock b/c I think it has more flavor. You might even start with 3 cups and if it seems like there's not much extra liquid pour in a little more. That will make sense later!!)

8 celery ribs, sliced

4 carrots, sliced (I think regular carrots taste better in soups than baby carrots. There may not be a difference!)

2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used several red potatoes last time. Just use whatever you have.)

1 onion, chopped (I sprinkled in a lot of the dried onion instead of using a real onion. I think that's why the boys didn't throw a fit. It was great like that-and easier)

1/2 tsp. pepper

2 cups corn, frozen and thawed or canned

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup all purpose flour

2 cups milk

paprika

dry musard

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used a cup of mild and a cup of sharp. I also used the block that you grate yourself. I've seen them talk about preferring that over the bagged kind in one of my magazines. Probably not a big deal.)

Bring the first 6 ingredients (thru pepper) to a boil in a large pot or dutch oven. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15-20 minutes until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and stir in corn.

Melt butter in heavy sauce pan (medium size at the smallest) over low heat; add flour, whisking until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Stir in milk, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, and 1 tsp dry mustard; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. This part takes a few minutes :). Add cheese, stirring until blended.

Stir cheese mixture in the veggie mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until heated.

No comments:

Post a Comment