Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sloppy Veg-Head Joe

This is a vegetarian sloppy joe recipe I got out of the Rachael Ray magazine. I must say that I think even non-vegetarians will love this. (It's good without the bun, too!) I also omitted the jalapeno since I thought my toddler might be eating it, and it was still good.


1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 jalapeno chile's, seeded and finely chopped
1 red onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Salt and Pepper
1 15-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
a splash of vinegar
juice of one lime

1. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, jalapenos, red onion, and garlic. Cook until tender (6-8 minutes). Stir in the black beans, cumin, and coriander. Season with salt and pepper.

2. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, brown sugar, and vinegar. Add to the black beans. Simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the lime juice.

3. Serve on buns. Optional: Garnish with pickles and chopped cilantro.















(My picture with the bun was blurry, so I used this one from the magazine's website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment